Quiz meet/other stuff/activities
The quiz meet was three weeks ago. It went pretty well. Two of our teammates were only there for the first quiz, in that one Josh erred out, and on Saturday he erred out once more and I did it twice. We lost the majority of quizzes. But on the bright side, I placed 11th in the B division and 6th rookie. Which really wasn't bad. And Josh was better overall than me.
I've now moved up to club 300 for quizzing, meaning I have to try and keep up with the current 145 and memorize the rest of everything. Darn it. But any extra verses are very much worth it, as well as the strain of memorizing three or four verses a day- I'll definitely have to do more than that next year if we have an A team and I need the practice. The next meet, a district, is on March 9th-10th, and it'll be harder because it's district and there's many more very good quizzers. I'm just hoping we don't get moved up to div 1 again; I'd like to get to meet finals at least once this year.
We went alpine skiing on Monday! It was really fun. I'm not nearly as scared of going downhill anymore. No, scratch that. Not so scared of going downhill on downhill skis anymore- cross-country still is pretty frightening. But it was fun, and I had a total of two clean rounds down the midway course. After the first big steep slope it's pretty easy - the first big steep slope is what made me fall so often.
Josh and I bought the soundtrack for PotC: DMC yesterday from iTunes (very helpful for soundtracks- if they actually have it it's a whole lot cheaper than from Amazon or a bookstore or something). I really like it, other than a rather weird song (He's a Pirate remix- very electric-computer-sounding). The nice thing is that it's very different from the CotBP soundtrack; it sounds less like a movie soundtrack and I'm pretty much able to tell what a song's title is from hearing the first bits, contrary to the CotBP album where I'm still not guessing well. It is annoying how wide the volume range in a song is, it can go from very quiet to very loud in a few seconds and doesn't do well as background music. But I enjoy it.
I'm playing violin at the award ceremony thingy at Taylor University on Saturday- Gavotte by J. Becker. I'll be receiving the award I got in the fall for my exam results last year. It should be fun; very scary though.

No comments:
Post a Comment